[mythtv-users] Consequences of splitting cable input for multipletuners

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 6 16:31:13 EST 2004

Quoting "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>:

> On Thursday 05 February 2004 12:56, Bruce Markey wrote:
> > Tim Gray wrote:
> > > I strongly suggest if you have a cable modem or digital
> > > box to have them on a 3 way splitter first, then put
> > > an  amplified splitter after those devices for the
> > > rest of the house/items.
> >
> > Or buy the bi-directional splitter from Radio Shack often
> > mentioned on this list then put the cable modem as far
> > down stream as possible. The problem with putting the modem
> > and cable box first is that it weakens the signal before it
> > gets to the amp. Using a bi-directional splitter can get
> > a cleaner signal to all the video devices and cable modems
> > aren't all that picky about signal quality anyway =).
>
> Aiee... Maybe your cable modem isn't picky, but mine certainly is... There's
> certain threshold above which they don't care, but if you're already near it,
>
> things can get ugly... I tried dropping a cheap splitter in there once, and
>
> buh-bye Internet connectivity.
Same when I was a senior in college.  We had basic cable and cable modem service
included in our rent.

Well, I'm not sure how many times we called Time Warner out because our cable
modem wouldn't work.  The techs seemed to be too stupid to put a distribution
amplifier where it mattered (before the splits, i.e. in a locked box I couldn't
access myself.)

Never any problems with TV reception, but in the end all three apartments that
were SUPPOSED to have one cable modem each were running off of a NAT machine in
my apartment that was fed from the cable modem in the apartment next door...