[mythtv-users] The return of the $20 80GB hard drive

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 6 14:03:23 EST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 06:56, Harry Orenstein wrote:
> From: "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>
>
> >>If you always wanted to have that 5 drive
> >>RAID array now is your chance (you know
> >>who you are!).
> >
> >But I already have a 7-drive RAID-5 array... (7x120GB). Well, actually,
> > its only 5x120 at the moment, but I'm about to redo it to include two
> > more drives, because I've almost filled the ~450GB... Just picked up some
> > CoolerMaster CoolDrive 2004 kits today to stash them in the 5.25 bays
> > left in my server, since all the 3.5s are all filled... But I digress.
> >
> >>Not sure if it is evident from the OfficeDepot
> >>website.  You need to apply coupon code
> >>40567109 when checking out.  Just looked
> >>and they are currently out of stock, but the
> >>offer is good until 2/7.
> >>
> >>Let the games begin!
> >
> >I'm going after 250GB drives next. Mmm... 7x250GB...
>
> Jarod, you are a sick, sick individual.

(-:<

> After seeing your Myth
> setup in your "Photos of myth boxes" posting and reading this
> post about you having 7x120GB drives and your wanting to
> upgrade to 7x250GB drives I realize how insignificant my
> Athlon 2000+ w/ 1 80GB drive hooked up to my 20 inch Sony
> TV is.

I've already got one 250 and two 200s floating around. The 250 is the only
drive in my main Myth box, and the 200s are for backups. Everything is moving
onto those drives off the 5x120 so I can redo the array with the additional
two 120s. Its a dedicated file server, with about 200 movies stacked up on
it, gobs of photos and 10,000+ mp3/ogg/ac3 audio files (all relatively high
bitrate). The 5x120 array has a mere 40GB remaining...

> There can be only one response to my exposure to this
> information: if it would help you out I'd be willing to take those
> 7 120GB drives off your hand so you don't get in trouble with
> the trash collectors (I'm pretty sure they don't like putting
> lots of electronic components in landfills).    ;-)

=)

> To speed your upgrade I'll even keep a look out for sub $100
> 250GB drives for you!

I should note that I'm also somewhat picky about what I buy. I try to avoid
the low(er) end stuff that only has the 1-year warranty now. My current 250
is a Western Digital w/the 8MB cache, purchased for $200, with $80 in mail-in
rebates. Actually getting six more is wishful thinking at the moment, unless
I have a REALLY good month of consulting projects... (I work a full-timer and
do misc consulting work on the side). However, I think five 250s might be
sufficient... ;-)

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...