[mythtv-users] Deleting commercials and transcoding

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Fri Feb 6 05:43:07 EST 2004

malcolm-mythtv wrote:

>On Thursday 05 February 2004 09:55 pm, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
>

>>These are MythTV features.
>>

>That sounds good.  I tried playing around with it some to figure it out.
>keys.txt leaves a lot to the imagination.  I assume to edit commercials out
>of a file you go to "watch recordings" and then select a recording?  Then
>when it's playing hit "m" which brings up a progress bar at the bottom of the
>screen.  I then hit Z to load the commercial list.  From there it gets kinda
>iffy and I'm not sure what more to do?
>
>Also since I record with a pvr-250 card can commercials be cut out of the
>mpeg2 file without having to re-transcode?

Marking commercials and marking cutpoints are two different things.  You
turn on commcercial flagging in the setup section of the frontend.

The "m" key lets you mark cut points (sections to be skipped over during
playback / transcode).  You can load your automagicly marked commercials
as cutpoints, tweak them and what not.  Pressing the space bar while in
this edit mode allows you to mark a point as a cut point.  You block out
sections by creating high/low water marks of "Delete after this frame" /
"delete before this frame" cutpoints.

If you press "X" during playback it will mark the file to be
transcodeded to MPEG4 (in your case).  Anything marked with the cutlist
will be removed from the transcoded file.

Right now there's no good way to transcode from MPEG2 to MPEG2 and
remove commercials.  There's some rough code in CVS but it was some
issues that need resolved before it's usable.  (Which is one of the
reasons I've not finished the DVD modules yet)