[mythtv-users] New user questions

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Fri Feb 6 01:01:01 EST 2004

> The only remaining problem is the load average shoots up to 3 or 4 when I'm
> watching live tv at 160x160 (the lowest available resolution).  But 'top'
> says the CPU is around 30-35% idle.  Where is the load coming from?  Disk
> activity?  Interrupts?

I tried increasing the resolution on the theory that the CPU was actually
unused and the load average was caused by disk activity.  I can get 256x192
resolution with about the same performance.  The quality isn't great but it
is pretty watchable.  320x240 is out of reach, it pegs the CPU and drops a
couple of frames every few seconds.

Is anyone using a P3 or Celeron running about 500MHz with a hardware MPEG
encoder and software decoding?  If so, what kind of performance/resolution
does it have?

--
"Perhaps the most widespread illusion is that if we were in power we would
behave very differently from those who now hold it -- when, in truth, in