[mythtv-users] Using an ATI Radeon 9200 2nd screen?

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Thu Feb 5 13:34:16 EST 2004

Bill Kearney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've an ATI Radeon 9200SE card with both VGA and TV outputs.
>
> How can I configure it so that mythtv runs /only/ on the TV output while leaving
> the VGA output available as the console display?

I've currently got this setup with an NVIDIA MX440 AGP but I did have it
working with a 9200SE card although I've now swapped to the NIVIDIA
because the driver/performance is better on my nVIDIA card.

Basicly my myuthbox lives in the study with cables running to the living
room next door and into the back of the TV/surround sound system. I then
use a ATI remote wonder (wireless remote) to control mythtv.  The X
setup has the main monitor running at 1920x1440 on screen :0.0 and the
TV over SVIDEO at 1024x768 on screen :1.0 I've positioned the TV screen
to be below the main.

Disadvantage is that only one of the screens can have input focus, but
its a rare day indeed when both are in use. So short term it doesn't
bother me and is very cost effective.

Long term I want to price up a couple of frontends (living room and
bedroom) with something like an Xbox or a EPIA M10000 based beast.

I looked into running two keyboards etc. info an X server and there is
no offical support although I did spot an entreprising peep that had
hacked a Xserver to allow what your discribing on a dual headed Nvidia
card.

So perhaps your best bet would be to install two graphics cards in your
box (One AGP one PCI) and run two independant X servers.  This can be
done but is a MPITA to setup..

Have you ever considered using a cheap frontend box like an xbox?

Regards
Simon

--
The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
		-- Albert Einstein