[mythtv-users] X-less backend?

John P. Poet john at BlueSkyTours.com
Thu Feb 5 12:42:32 EST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Andrew Dodd wrote:

> Quoting Scott LeBrun <slebrun at scopus.vic.edu.au>:
>
> > I'm setting up a brand new system using separate backend and frontend
> > machines. The backend will never run any X apps at all. Is it possible
> > to setup the backend without X? It seems that all is necessary is to
> > create some sort of SQL import file and whack it into MySQL.
> >
> > Any ideas on what exactly is required?

After you have myth configured (via mythsetup?), you can configure the
machine to no longer auto load X.  Change the following line in
"/etc/inittab" from:

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

Run level `5' tells the system to auto start X.  Run level `3' will not.
With it configured this way, you can still start X by hand, by issuing the
"startx" command.

> Someone sorely needs to rip out ALL dependencies on X from the backend.
>
> With all versions of MythTV that I have used so far, if you start the backend
> from a shell or terminal within X, mythbackend will be linked to that X session.
>  i.e. if the X server dies or is restarted (user logs out, for example),
> mythbackend will die with some sort of ICE error.

True.  That is why I start mythbackend before going into X.  Actually, at
this point I have mythbackend started automatically during the boot process.
Easy to do using these instructions:

John