[mythtv-users] Changing filesystems?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 5 12:38:12 EST 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 11:35, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> > Thanks for the replies - sadly that was the answer I suspected.
> > Perhaps an ignorant question but can LVM use XFS as the file
> > system?  I really like the ability to add on space easily.
>
> I use XFS and LVM, however I was unable to resize. I'm not sure if I
> was doing something wrong or not, but I got the impression that you
> couldn't use the advanced resizing features of LVM with XFS.

LVM doesn't have any "advanced resizing" features per se.  LVM is simply
a way of grouping a number of physical devices into a single logical
device.  The "advanced resizing" is nothing more than whatever tools
are available for the filesystem you choose to put on your LVM volume.
So, if you choose an ext2/ext3 filesystem, you can use extresize (or
whatever it's called) to grow or shrink you filesystem to occupy more/
less of the logical volume.  In order for you to be able to do this
with XFS, you need a tool that can resize an XFS filesystem (I don't
know whether one exists or not).  LVM does not really affect whether or
not you can do this.

-JAC