[mythtv-users] Consequences of splitting cable input for multipletuners

Tim Gray timgray.geo at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 10:42:37 EST 2004

I strongly suggest if you have acable modem or digital
box to have them on a 3 way splitter first, then put
an  amplified splitter after those devices for the
rest of the house/items.

reason being is that the cable modem and digital/hd
box is a two way device and needs to be able to talk
back to the cable company while everything else could
care less..

Yes, you can buy a two way amplifier and splitter, but
they cost 3-5 times more than a high end one way
amp/splitter.

although the greates degradation of signal comes from
cable runs connected to a splitter (or open splitter
ports) that do not have something connected to them.
anything open MUST have a terminator installed for
best reception.

I personally use attenuators (and DC block's) on all
my tv's vcr's mythtv devices to reduce the signal to
normal levels.  over driving your devices also can
degrade a signal.

BTW, I work for the cable company (IT guy), I have
access to CATV engineers and their reccomendations.