[mythtv-users] Remotes and tuner cards

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:12:49 EST 2004

>From: Bill Chmura <Bill at Explosivo.com>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Remotes and tuner cards
>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:37:24 -0500
>

>Hi All,
>
>I've been drooling over the potential of mythtv for awhile now, and even
>tried
>running it without a tuner card (just to use the guide channel), but have
>not
>had the cash and what not to make a full system.
>
>Well, a friend of mine has gone off his rocker and is giving me a 2.4Ghz
>Compaq:  Compaq P4 2.4 GHz desktop / 512M / 36G SCSI
>/ 60G IDE / DVD-ROM / Radeon 9000 Pro / Firewire Card / 19" Monitor
>
>Well anyway, what would you do if you could spend a little money to get
>this
>up and running for mythtv?  I will be running it on Gentoo Linux.
>
>First off, I have a 7200RPM Maxtor 160gig drive I will probably drop into
>this
>machine to flush out the hard drive space...
>
>Some people here recommended a Hauppage Video tuner card (either a PVR250
>or
>PVR350)...
>
>I would like to do a remote on it... what works good with Linux?
>
>I am completely new to this whole thing, but my plan is to use it with my
>VCR
>and also to serve up MP3's to my stereo...  Not sure of the sound
>capabilities of the machine.
>
>Thanks for any recommendations on this!

If your goal is to save money I would recommend the PVR-250.  You already
have a decent video card with svideo out (I have not experience with the
Radeon 9000 Pro, but from recent reports ATI's drivers seem to be getting
better) so you don't need to spend the extra money for the PVR-350 and
since this is a first time situation it might be easier if you didn't try to
get
TV-out on the PVR-350 working (many people have a tough time getting
it to work correctly).  On the other hand, if you spend the extra money on
the 350 now you can always get TV-out working later.

As far as remotes go, I would recommend initially using the remote that
comes with the PVR-2/350 since it is supported in LIRC.  If you find that
you
want to switch to a universal remote I personally like the URC-6012.  It
supports multiple devices (TV, VCR, DVD, etc.), can handle the RC-5 protocol
used by the Hauppauge receiver and allows for custom key remapping in
order to support all the functions you would need for Myth.  Jarod even
wrote a nice tutorial on getting it set up (actually, he uses a Radio Shack
15-2116, but the basic instruction are the same).

HTH!

-- Harry O.