[mythtv-users] Wiring for multiple tuners

Eloy A. Paris peloy at chapus.net
Thu Feb 5 09:16:40 EST 2004

"Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com> writes:

> Stay away from dirt-cheap splitters though. It can host your picture
> quality. I use a ~$45 4-way amplified splitter from the 'Shack,
> partially because even a good non-amplified splitter resulted in too
> much signal loss for my cable box to lock onto HD channels.

What about those of us that connect to the Internet via cable? Is it
better to split the signal for the tuners and for the cable modem and
then split the cable that goes to the tuners as many times as you want
or it does not make a difference?

I mean, assuming I have two tuners, is it better to use a 3-way splitter
(1 in, 3 out) or is it better to use a 2-way splitter, send one signal to
the cable modem and then split the other signal with another 2-way
splitter and send the two signals to the two tuners, or it does not make
any difference?

I've found out the hard way that cable modems are very sensitive to the
strength and quality of the input signal, and I would think that the
less you split the input signal to the cable modem the better, so my
guess is that the later arrangement I described above is better since
the cable modem receives a less attenuated signal.

Cheers!

Eloy.-