[mythtv-users] MythVideo and DVD Image playback

Kevin Denniss kdenniss at civica.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 04:31:16 EST 2004

Okay, this is slightly off topic but not by too much I hope! I'm also hoping that someone can point me in the right direction because I'm sure I've read a post about this before, and now I want it I can't find it anywhere.

I want to put my DVD collection onto hard drive so I can play them back through MythVideo. Because I'm really fussy about these things I want to keep all the chapter marks and subtitles, so I decided that transcoding the movies into avi wasn't going to do what I wanted.

So I figured that ripping the DVD to an ISO image on the hardrive may be the way to go. That way you get to keep all the features and still only put a single file on the harddrive for each movie. I decided to use Xine since that handles menus and subtitles properly which mplayer doesn't yet do.

I was under the impression that you could play the iso with:

xine dvd:///path/to/ios/

However this complains that it can't access the device or wrong MRL,  the terminal window I launched xine from tells me it can't find the VIDEO_TS files.

I therefore tried mounting the ISO image with:

mount -o loop -t iso9660 -r /path/to/iso /mnt/dvd

That works and I can see the contents of the ISO image so I'm sure the image file is okay (but I can't play the mounted ISO filesystem either).

Play back of real DVD's is fine so I know xine is working.

I'm sure this something I've seen done before and I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious so any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Kevin

(I'm using Fedora core1 with Axel's rpm's after following Jarrod's guide and installed xine through apt-get if that has any importance!)

This email is confidential and is for the attention of the addressee only and Civica ltd, Civica Services Limited and Civica Systems Limited accept no responsibility for information, errors or omissions contained in it.  If you received this email in error, please inform us by reply and delete all copies from your system.  No legally binding commitments are, or will, be created by this email and where it is our intention to create such legally binding commitments, we will do so through hard copy correspondence or documents.  All email received and sent by us may be monitored to protect the business interests of Civica.