[mythtv-users] Recommendation: Remote Control

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:57:42 EST 2004

>From: steve at nexusuk.org
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: [mythtv-users] Recommendation: Remote Control
>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:18:22 +0000 (GMT)
>

>Just thought I would post a recommendation for the remote control that
>I've now been using for a few weeks:
>
>http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=031126202127946&moduleno=35978&Products=1
>
>It's absolutely perfect for Myth - It's a Sky+ remote, so designed for a
>PVR anyway, but the thing that really sets it apart from other remotes is
>the flip-open cover with a full QWERTY keyboard under it, so it has most
>of the advantages of a full size IR keyboard, but at a reasonable price
>and taking up far less space.
>
>Like normal Sky remotes, it has mute, volume, text and power buttons which
>can be programmed to control the TV.  There are 2 IR emitters - one on the
>front like a normal remote, and one on the right side of it so you can use
>the keyboard in a normal orientation.  The buttons inside the flap produce
>different IR codes to the buttons on the outside, so if you want you could
>program them to do different things.  The keyboard is also nice and
>responsive so you can almost type on it as if it was a normal wired
>keyboard - no lost keypresses, etc.
>
>--
>
>  - Steve
>http://www.nexusuk.org/
>
>      Servatis a periculum, servatis a maleficum - Whisper, Evanescence

Sounds like a good remote for anyone who wants to use Myth and
also have a IR keyboard.  Might be cheaper to go to:

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/skybet

though.  There is an offer that says that if you place £20 in
bets they'll give you a free Sky Navigator remote.  Seems cheaper
than buying one for more and then paying VAT in addition.  You
might actually win some money too!

Personally, I like my URC-6012.  It is sufficient for my needs and
supports all the functions I want and it's only $13USD.

But to each his (or her) own.

-- Harry O.