[mythtv-users] Remotes and tuner cards

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Wed Feb 4 16:37:24 EST 2004

Hi All,

I've been drooling over the potential of mythtv for awhile now, and even tried
running it without a tuner card (just to use the guide channel), but have not
had the cash and what not to make a full system.

Well, a friend of mine has gone off his rocker and is giving me a 2.4Ghz
Compaq:  Compaq P4 2.4 GHz desktop / 512M / 36G SCSI
/ 60G IDE / DVD-ROM / Radeon 9000 Pro / Firewire Card / 19" Monitor

Well anyway, what would you do if you could spend a little money to get this
up and running for mythtv?  I will be running it on Gentoo Linux.

First off, I have a 7200RPM Maxtor 160gig drive I will probably drop into this
machine to flush out the hard drive space...

Some people here recommended a Hauppage Video tuner card (either a PVR250 or
PVR350)...

I would like to do a remote on it... what works good with Linux?

I am completely new to this whole thing, but my plan is to use it with my VCR
and also to serve up MP3's to my stereo...  Not sure of the sound
capabilities of the machine.

Thanks for any recommendations on this!