[mythtv-users] Newbie questions

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 4 11:15:56 EST 2004

Quoting Thomas Börkel <thomas at boerkel.de>:

> HI!
>
> jose rubio wrote:
>
> >>I have read, that the PVR-350's MPEG2 decoder output has some
> >>"limitations". What are they?
> >
> > Right now you can't use the 350's tv-out for DVD playing, game playing,
> > or mythvideo.  It is my belief that the people at ivtv are working on
> > the dvd and the video parts...
>
> What about MythWeb?
>
> Can I use the PVR-350 TV-out for watching recording and the GeForce
> TV-out for games etc.?
Probably.  You might want to investigate an external scan converter.  Various
external converters have received good reviews so far, the most anticipated one
is being designed by a guy on this list, it's very cheap and simple.  Set the
video card to output interlaced NTSC/PAL timings for its video, and an Analog
Devices AD724 does the rest of the work in converting RGB to NTSC/PAL.  Doesn't
work with NVidia's current drivers though, for some reason the current NV
drivers don't like interlaced video modes.

> > It's ok but you'll fill it up. (2.2 Gigs / hr. show)
>
> Is the recorded video directly burnable to DVD?
Not quite.  It needs to be remultiplexed.  Good news is that it does NOT have to
be reencoded, remultiplexing is a fast operation that is typically I/O bound,
not CPU bound.