[mythtv-users] RE: Photos of myth boxes

John Barton kaffine at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 18:49:49 EST 2004

Rumor is that HP is going to be
introducing a DLP projector aimed
at home theater use, with a lower
price tag.  What I heard was 800
or 900.  I don't know if anywhere
on the web has it, but I heard
about this from a relative who
(now formerly, he just got laid off)
works at HP.
DLP is really a great projection
system, and 800 or 900 isnt too bad.

One month FREE spam protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of audin at okb-1.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 11:26 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] RE: Photos of myth boxes

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 01:58:53PM -0500, Andrew Dodd wrote:
> Quoting Dwaine Garden <DwaineGarden at rogers.com>:
> > audin at okb-1.org wrote:
> >
>http://jupiter.okb-1.org/camera/public/brewing_and_mythtv/.catalogimage
s/p2020037.jpg.html

> >     Oh man...  You have to be joking.     That projection is
amazing.
> > I would die to have that...
>
> Look hard, REALLY hard for a used projector.

	I'd actually suggest something like the InFocus X1.  An 800x600
DLP
with 3000hour bulb life and a MSRP of $999.  It gets very good reviews,
and
is certainly nicely priced.

	I paid $3000 for my Panasonic PT-LC75U about 1.5 years ago.  It
is a
1024x768 LCD with 3000hour bulb life.  It's currently at about 1600
hours.
Since prices have dropped so much and with the allure of higher
resolution,
it's going to be a real struggle to decide whether to buy a new bulb
(~$400
when I last looked) or replace it altogether when the time comes.

	In general, though, I can't recommend front projection strongly
enough.  If you've got the space in a somewhat light-controlled room
(total
light control is not necessary), there really is no reason not to go for
it.

	Good site if you're thinking about a projector:

 http://www.projectorcentral.com/
 http://www.projectorcentral.com/recommended-home-theater-projectors.htm

--
                                            Audin Malmin -
audin at okb-1.org

I could have gone on flying through space forever.  -- Yuri A. Gagarin