[mythtv-users] Why does scheduled recording steal my PVR cardthat's in use?

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 3 14:36:08 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "fsquires" <fsquires at fastmail.fm>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Why does scheduled recording steal my PVR
cardthat's in use?

> I think you're right, but what he seems to want is, if you're watching
> live TV and the other card is free, for mythtv to dynamically record to
> the unused card.  I'd prefer if it prompted you perhaps 30 sec. before
> the scheduled recording, such as:
>
> There is a recording scheduled for this tuner at 10:30 AM (or in 30
> sec. counting down).
> -Allow recording to use this tuner.
> -Switch to next available tuner.
> -Cancel Recording.
>
> The default would be Allow recording, this way if you're away and left
> livetv running it would still use the default tuner.
> Fred

That sounds good except I'd prefer a default (or user config) to use the
next available tuner and only if there is no more tuners then default to
stealing the current tuner used for live TV.

Our TV runs almost 24 hours at home and sometimes we can't see the picture
but just have it on for background entertainment.  I wouldn't see the OSD at
that point and would much prefer it just grabbed the next available tuner to
record the scheduled program.