[mythtv-users] Re: Problem with MythTv 0.14 and bttv 0.9.12 (or kernel 2.6.1)!

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Tue Feb 3 14:34:58 EST 2004

> dmesg gives this:
> bttv0: skipped frame. no signal? high irq latency?
> [main=d519000,o_vbi=ad1d000,o_field=d519020,rc=ad1d01c]

I see that sometimes, too.  You may get it less if you pick less demanding
encoding settings (e.g., lower resolution or RTJPEG instead of MPEG4).  If
you're happy with the output quality (that is, you're not seeing annoying
skips or frame-drops), then don't worry about it.

> video output device: no idea?

He means your video card.  lspci -v and look for "VGA compatible
controller."

> xv picture controls enabled: no idea?

Try 'xvinfo'.  You should get 'screen #0' with one adaptor, 'PutImage'
supported, and some supported visuals.  If you don't get all of that, then
you probably don't have Xv.

> Watching LiveTv uses 50% of the CPU capacity.

That's normal!  Live TV is constantly recording to disk so that you can
pause or rewind.

> I recorded a movie and transcode used 60% of CPU capacity (but I think that
> this is normal).

I would expect transcode to use 100% unless something else (e.g., Live TV)
was running at the same time.

--Patrick