[mythtv-users] RE: possible to do Dish Network + antenna

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Feb 3 13:34:59 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Rolando Nieves wrote:

> toggling the DTR signal in the serial port. The drawback is that the
> computer is practically unusable for that second or two when the signal
> is being sent, since it is so busy generating the correct pulses and
> spaces.

The lirc_serial driver disables all interrupts for the duration of the
code it's sending.  Obviously servicing an input in the middle of sending
IR would likely be bad.  Disabling interrupts for this long is considered
a Bad Thing and was causing me problems, so I have hacked my lirc driver
to stop it from disabling interrupts while sending IR signals - still
seems to be reliable for me but other people's milage may vary.

> send. If the commercial blasters are as flexible as the homebrews and
> can generate pulses at any frequency then you're OK. If they only
> generate using a 38KHz carrier then it might not work.

I haven't got a commercial IR transmitter to look at, but you might be
able to get away with opening it up and replacing some components to get
the oscillator to run at a different frequency. (obviously that will
requite some electronics knowledge).

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/