Fw: [mythtv-users] is playing a DVD supposed to peg theCPUwith aPVR-350?

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Tue Feb 3 12:09:25 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 17:09, Malcolm wrote:
> [...]

OK, got some more time right now. So in brief:

1. The PVR350's decoder can only do mpeg1/2 video with mp2 audio at the
moment

2. To make use of the decoder it has to be fed the right way.

3. Xine doesn't know how to feed it, atm.

4. There's a patch for mplayer which works with the pvr. The patch is to
be found somewhere in the ivtv-dev list archives. There are issues with
a/v sync, though.

5. The card's hardware supports YUV output, but the driver doesn't, atm.

6. As soon as the driver supports YUV, the card will be able to display
any YUV stream it's fed in the right way. I.e. we will be able to watch
any video material that can be decoded to yuv in software, e.g. divx.

7. As soon as the driver supports YUV, there will (most likely) be
plugins for mplayer and xine that support this.

8. While it is possible to implement mpeg2 support into xine without yuv
support being in the driver, nobody is working on it, atm.

9. All you can do atm is use the Internal player of mythtv/-video to
playback mpeg1/2 files, and this only if they have only one audio
stream, which is mp2. Or at least the first audio stream has to be mp2.

10. VOB files don't work, if the first stream is ac3.

11. You can use mencoder to transcode the audio stream from ac3 to mp2
and end up with an mpeg2 file which the pvr can play (using "Internal"
as player command in mythvideo). You can tell mencoder not to transcode
the video stream using 'copy' as output video codec.

12. DVD and DivX support will (most likely) be there eventually, but not
now.

HTH,

Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough