[mythtv-users] MPEG2->MPEG2 commercial cutting in 0.14

Jeff Monks mythtv at skunkeye.com
Mon Feb 2 23:55:48 EST 2004

I'm trying out the new MPEG2 commercial cutting in 0.14, and it's working
very well, except for one thing:  the resulting files don't play well in
mythfrontend.

I can define the cutlist, and then trancode it, which only takes a few
minutes, resulting in a smaller file with no commercials.  Hooray!  This
file will play fine in mplayer, but when I try to play it back in
mythfrontend, it's jerky in an odd, rhythmic way.  The video will slow
down for about two seconds, then speed up so that the video catches up to
the audio, then slow down again, speed up, see-sawing back and forth
between fast and slow on about a two-second cycle.

This behavior doesn't start in the stream until after the first cutpoint,
so if I cut some stuff from the beginning of a show, it will start pretty
much immediately, but if I don't cut anything from the beginning, it will
play fine until it reaches the first cut.

I'm using Myth 0.14 and ivtv 0.1.9 (though it does the same thing with
older recordings made with various versions of ivtv).  The behavior is the
same whether I run mythtranscode from the command line, or if I press 'x'
during playback.

Anyone else tried this new feature and gotten the same (or different)
results?