[mythtv-users] (no subject)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Feb 2 20:39:48 EST 2004

On Feb 2, 2004, at 05:29, Andy Delgado wrote:

> I am working with a new configuration and have run into a problem.
>
> Hardware:
>
> ABit VA-10 Motherboard (S3 UniChrome Integrated VGA)
[snip]
> If I use the default "vesa" driver in X, I get sync issues with the
> video. If I install an NVidia GE4, All is well. What I want to do is
> use the Integrated S3 UniChrome, but when I install the driver from
> VIA's site, (which requires some creativity - the drivers are binaries
> and expect me to use RH9...anyway) X looks great, beautiful colors,
> games look good... Any video thru mplayer (including live TV) comes up
> as a green screen.

I've got a board with an S3 UniChrome onboard, but I refused to even
touch it. I had terrible experiences with a ProSavageDDR on another
board, so I didn't even bother, just went right to a GF4. However, that
system now has a PVR-350 in it, so I might end up pulling the GF4 for
other duty and need to actually make the UniChrome semi-useful if/when
I need to debug 350 problems (such as, it likes to hard-lock my system
every so often right now -- though the mobo has a via chipset...). I'd
be curious to hear what you had to do to make the binary drivers work
(off-list, since it isn't exactly mythtv-related).

> Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a better S3 UniChrome driver?

Have you tried the very latest from probo? There's a link to it
somewhere on viaarena.com's Linux video driver pages. However, I'm not
sure if it supports the UniChrome yet.

Also, if you fire up mplayer from the command line, does it spit out
any useful information? Perhaps its trying to use some video
acceleration that the driver doesn't support...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/