[mythtv-users] S-ATA versus plain old parallel

DBakker at arrayasolutions.com DBakker at arrayasolutions.com
Mon Feb 2 09:22:23 EST 2004

Dont fall for the hype. The thing that makes SATA any faster isnt the
drive itself but the bus technology (SATA). SATA can do syncrhonouse
transfers on the same bus from multiple drives. ATA IDE only does one at a
time. If you have one drive per bus (one on primary IDE and one on the
secondary IDE) with the drives at the same RPM you will get the same
throughput as SATA. It's all about RPM and how many disks your bus can hit
at once. I have 6 IDE controllers ($45 per 2) in my machine with 6 drives
and get 60MB/sec on good ol ATA IDE drives.

"Martin Ravell" <martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
02/02/2004 09:16 AM
Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

"MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
cc

Subject
[mythtv-users] S-ATA versus plain old parallel

Hi all,

I'm spec'ing up a box for my production Myth machine and was wondering
what
the deal is with S-ATA versus plain parallel drives. Not being a Linux
guru
I'm interested to hear from anyone with an opinion on this.

I guess I just havn't messed around with hardware for a while and am not
up
on the latest. From my preliminary Myth install (in an old banger PC) and
scanning this list it is apparent that HD throughput is of pretty major
importance. Does S-ATA give a worthwhile performance boost or does it pose
more problems than it solves?

BTW I'm looking at an Intel D865GLC board and potentially a 200GB Maxtor
being fed from my nice shiny new Hauppauge 350.

Regards
Marty