[mythtv-users] Confused about tightening permissions on mythconverg database

Keith Hanlan mythtv at hanlan.ca
Sun Feb 1 17:29:08 EST 2004

I had my xbox frontend working but then got to "fixing" things up
and I've managed to royally screw up my database access. I find
the whole mysql mess rather confusing as (a) I'm new to sql and
(b) the mysql "userids" are completely distinct from unix userids.

First, is there a way to start from scratch without blowing away
the mythconverg database? I removed everything from the mysql
database's db and user tables. I then added back some rows so that
they currently look like:
   mysql> select host,user,password,select_priv from user;
   +-------------+--------+------------------+-------------+
   | host        | user   | password         | select_priv |
   +-------------+--------+------------------+-------------+
   | 10.1.1.%    | root   | 4288b9487a98e5c5 | Y           |
   | %.hanlan.ca | mythtv | 047498716afffe24 | Y           |
   | %.hanlan.ca | root   | 4288b9487a98e5c5 | Y           |
   | 10.1.1.%    | mythtv | 047498716afffe24 | Y           |
   +-------------+--------+------------------+-------------+
   4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

   mysql> select host,user,select_priv from db;
   +-------------+--------+-------------+
   | host        | user   | select_priv |
   +-------------+--------+-------------+
   | %.hanlan.ca | root   | Y           |
   | %.hanlan.ca | mythtv | Y           |
   +-------------+--------+-------------+
   2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Now, am I correct in interpreting the "user" columns as mysql
users that don't necessarily correspond to the unix userid?

On the XBox, my mysql.txt file looks like:
   root at xbox:~# cat /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
   DBHostName=pvr.hanlan.ca
   DBUserName=mythtv
   DBPassword=mythtv
   DBName=mythconverg
   #LocalHostName=pvr.hanlan.ca

I've also updated the ./etc/hostname in mythtv.tgz so that
hostname returns the correct FQDN.

pvr.hanlan.ca is my backend; It is a CNAME for kph.hanlan.ca.
mythbackend is running as userid mythtv on this machine (because I
changed /etc/init.d/mythbackend so that start() executes:
   cd $MYTHTV_HOME && daemon --user mythtv $binary $OPTIONS
instead of simply:
   cd $MYTHTV_HOME && daemon $binary $OPTIONS

Thanks for your help folks..
(and bear with me while I post *another* set of questions relating
to multiple soundcards...)
Keith Hanlan
Ottawa, Canada