[mythtv-users] Re: axel's patched kernel kernel panics with ivtv -- stock fedora one doesn't

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 1 13:55:26 EST 2004

On Feb 1, 2004, at 03:23, Reza Naima wrote:

> I actually don't think it was your IVTV driver.  It was having
> dependency issues and kept trying to install a different version of
> the kernel, so that's why I compiled & installed it by hand.

I see what was happening with the dependencies. You've got kernel
2163.nptl_32, the latest is now 2163.nptl_34, which I haven't got
updated in my doc. You were likely running into another problem that I
also had, where I could initially install the right kernel module for
the _32 kernel, but adding the base ivtv package actually nuked it, for
some reason (despite no warning). I've got saved debug output on that
one if you'd like, Axel. ;-)

> It seemed to install the proper versions the first time, but kernel
> panic.  I'm not sure what I did that made it want to upgrade the
> kernel the second time I installed it.
>
> To test, I downloaded the version I needed manualy from your website,
> installed it, and it didn't seem to break anything.
>
> I think I just had some wierdness happen as I installed the v4l2
> packages, the bttv packages, and the ivtv packages.

My money is on the bttv package causing the problem.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/