[mythtv-users] PVR-350 - PAL-I Variant, for use in Ireland?

Jon Waite jon at jonwaite.com
Sun Feb 1 13:37:17 EST 2004

> > Now... If you're NTL cable signal is broadcast in PAL-B
> over VHF (which
> > sounds plausible given your earlier explanations), then you
> should be able
> > to tune to these VHF signals with no problems at all with
> your current card.
>
> Ah, I think I either explained badly (or wrongly!), or you've
> taken me up wrong. The list above has this entry for Ireland:
>
>   Ireland                   PAL-I        PAL-I
>
> i.e. it's PAL-I on both bands.  I think the VHF refers to
> cable, and the
> UHF to broadcast.  That is consistent with the fact that UK TVs *do*
> work here, if you're using them with an antenna.  But almost
> everyone in
> Dublin subscribes to NTL cable.

That table will only refer to Broadcast TV I think, so you may well
have PAL-B on VHF which your frequency converter is converting to
PAL-I on UHF (?)

In which case... Your current card (PAL B/G) *should* be able to
tune to the VHF signal provided you hook it up *without* the frequency
Converter... (???)

> on PAL-I; the UK cards could be PAL-I-UHF, and not able to handle
> PAL-I-VHF.  But the replies I've seen from Dublin people here suggest
> that the UK cards can handle both UHF and VHF, thankfully.
> It's probably
> cheaper for Hauppauge to use tuners that do both bands in all their
> cards, and just use two variants, for PAL-I and PAL-G/B.

So it sounds like (to me anyway) that the PAL-I boards are actually
UHF PAL-I and VHF PAL-B.