[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs. Component video through AA adapter

Blues Guy bluesguy_1 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 1 09:34:16 EST 2004

--- "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2004, at 15:03, Blues Guy wrote:
>
> > --- "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I expect to be able to make a pretty good
> >> side-by-side comparison between the
> >> quality of a PVR-350's TVOut and VGA to Component
> >> video through an Audio
> >> Authority adapter sometime this weekend, because
> >> just picked up a PVR-350
> >> while out to lunch this afternoon.
> >>
> >> Full-out Fedora/Red Hat-centric guide
> documentation
> >> for the 350 to follow
> >> shortly thereafter. ;-)
> >
> > Oh sure, now you go ahead and get a 350, after it
> took
> > me a whole Saturday to get mine tweaked out a few
> > weeks back...  :-)  Ok.. some of that time was
> > creatively fitting both the 350 and 250 into my
> > Pundit...
> >
> > Can you tell that everyone's gotten spoiled with
> your
> > guide and Axel's RPMS? :-)
>
> Heh, not sure if that's good or bad. To complicate
> matters, in addition
> to trying to add stuff about the 350, write
> something about controlling
> cable boxes, add more links to relevant info, post a
> page
> containing/enhancing Ian's "HDTV in 20 steps", etc.,
> now there's a new
> release of Myth... Oy.

That's the price you pay for being a hero :-)

> On the bright side, I didn't find getting the 350 to
> work very hard at
> all. Just a few minor deviations from the ivtv
> wiki's instructions for
> Fedora, and off to the races.

Same here, it wasn't too bad, just took a little
tinkering.  I actually burned the most time trying to
resolve a problem with the s-video.  In my Pundit the
s-video out on both the Pundit and PVR-350 turned B&W.
 If I take the 350 out of the Pundit, the Pundit's
s-video works fine (at least as well as it can), so I
spent a couple hours tinnkering with that and finallly
gave up on it.  I'm chalking it up to some kind of
unresolvable hardware conflict.  I just use the
composite out on the 350 instead, and since it's
properly interlaced, it's hands down superior to the
Pundit's onboard composite out.

> However, I'm honestly not that impressed with the
> video quality of the
> 350's TVOut, at least when juxtaposed to the
> VGA->Component method I'm
> using to feed my HDTV.

So your TV has component inputs to accept a
non-interlaced signal?  Must be nice!  If my TV had
that, I would've stuck with the 2 PVR-250's in my
pundit and used the onboard VGA out.  Would've saved
tons of tinkering to get things working.

Speaking of which, I'm very interested in what you've
thought of the AA adapter?  Is the quality as good as
the PVR-350?  If so, I'm going to seriously consider
putting the other 250 back in and ditching the 350,
just to save all the hassle with things like feeding
the audio back into the soundcard, patching mplayer to
play out through the ivtv-fb, etc...

Greg