[mythtv-users] USB to Serial Adapter with LIRC

Drew Zerdecki dzerdecki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 21:58:58 UTC 2004

Unfortunately I just bought a motherboard with only 2 PCI slots and one
serial connector-- both of which will have PVR's in them.  While I can
likely add wireless networking through USB or Access Points, serial
ports are more difficult I think.  Basically I plan on using the PVR-350
to receiver IR commands from my remote and additionally use LIRC to
control DirecTV receivers through serial cable control.

Because I won't have an available PCI slot for a serial port card, can I
use a usb to serial device with Linux/LIRC support so that at least one
of the directv boxes can be controlled through this usb adapter?  If so,
what kind of USB to Serial adapters should I purchase?  Any additionally
Linux drivers necessary?

Thanks for the assistance.

Drew