[mythtv-users] Re: Hard Drives that Actually Work?

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Fri Dec 31 16:01:56 UTC 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 10:58, David Rees wrote:
> Dan wolf wrote, On 12/30/2004 2:24 PM:
> > Don't buy Maxtors, they are famous for poor quality and unreliability.
> >  Western Digital, too.

This is not absolutely true.  I've owned 4 pcs 40GB maxtors and still own 6
pcs 80GB maxtors.  They're just fine after being used 24x7 for 3-4 years.
I have them _very_ well cooled though, as I do all of my (server-) drives.

My guess is, brands' reliability varies with year / model, or even by batch or
by origin (which factory assembled it).  So you get lucky, or you don't.

In contrast, I also owned 2 WD drives, both 80GB and they both died within the
first year (equally well cooled as the rest). Of one of those the replacement
was DOA (dead within 2 weeks) and the second replacement is currently in a
drawer collecting dust since it has intermittent problems.
However, with the newer generation of WD 160GB sata I have no problems
whatsoever (as yet).

> > Seagates and IBMs are the best.  I have a drive around 10 years old
> > from IBM and it is still working.  I have it hooked up to a server,
> > but I'm not sure why I keep it, has hardly any space.

Same here.  I still have an older 25 GB IBM and it has been on for I think
about 5+ years, more or less continuously.  A Perfect Drive. (knock, knock)

> Hah, IBM sold their drive business to Hitachi after producing the 75GXP
> and 60GXP series of drives commonly referred to the DeathStar and making
> the "Click of Death" a household phrase.
>
> I've had more IBM drives go bad on me than all others combined out of
> dozens of drives.

Sorry to hear that. But I've even used two of those 60GXPs without any
problem. But as I said, the fact that those were cooled to ~25 or 30 degrees
may have something to do with that...

Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.