[mythtv-users] Question about Chris's new tuners patch.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 30 22:31:03 UTC 2004

On 12/16/2004 10:07 AM, Asciimonster wrote:

> I've got a question about the new tuner path from Chris Kennedy. Since
> it's marked for a specific kernel version, I'll have to downgrade my
> kernel (I want to stick with 2.4). Does this mean I have to recompile
> everything (ivtv, mythtv, mysql, lame, etc)? [I just don't want to
> work up a sweat if none is needed].
>
> By the way, has somebody got an unofficial howto about this proces?

RTFWP (Read The Full Web Page).

The page to which you're referring:

http://ivtv.no-ip.com/new_tuners

displays a README (under the list of patches available for download).
It is the *official* HOWTO about the process.

Important points (i.e. the ones that answer your questions) include:
  - Do I need to apply these patches?
  - Which patch do I use? My kernel version is not listed.
  - How do I apply the patches?
  - Which versions of packages require patching?

If you feel I've left any important information out of the README,
please e-mail me.

The only one of your questions not answered is, "Does this mean I have
to recompile everything?"  I purposefully left this one out because a)
everyone's system is different, b) explaining how to know what needs to
be recompiled is better left for a (very thick) book about Linux kernel
hacking, and c) I don't want to give someone who shouldn't be compiling
kernel modules a false sense of confidence by making him/her think the
process it easy (which is not to say it's hard--but it can be very
dangerous for someone who doesn't know what he/she is doing).

Thanks,
Mike