[mythtv-users] Remote control probs

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Thu Dec 30 21:21:59 UTC 2004

Hello Jeff,

> You will only be able to use remotes that use RC5 protocol with the built-in
> IR receiver on the PVR card, as I understand it.

Fair enough, but as I understand it, the RC5 protocol is quite common,
if so, how can 7 out of 9 (including Hauppauge's own remote) not work?
This is for a variety of devices, DVD player, 2 x TV, VCR, 2 x digital
STB, HiFi and a videophone.  That strikes me a bit strange?

> You shouldn't need to do that.  The lircrc will handle that just find without
> irxevent.  I just got mine almost working (lousy modelines giving me trouble)
> and didn't have to mess with more than editing the above lircrc to match my
> remote and the keynames I used in irrecord.  It can be a pain if you have a
> remote with fewer keys than that, though, as the one I'm using now does.

Well, when using the remote with Mythfrontend, it wouldn't work unless I
ran irxevent and run mythfrontend in the same terminal window - running
irxevent and mythfrontend in a different terminal window wouldn't work.

Thanks very much for your help

Cheers - Piers