[mythtv-users] Poll: apt-get FC3 install

Harold Brown labrat.hb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:25:01 UTC 2004

I installed both a backend and a frontend using FC3 the weekend before
christmas, had no problems with the backend (was a change from
Mandrake 9 / MythTV 0.16 CVS)

With the frontend I had to go buy a new video card as FC3 did not
support the TVOut on the ancient ATI Rage Pro card I had in the
front-end.

I did encounter a few problems, but nothing that was show stopping.

1. The MYKERNEL export in never worked  - Solution documented in this forum
2. Mythfilldatabase never ran, switched the CRON over to run as root
and it's working fine
3. Never got the remote working on the frontend. - That's mostly my
fault for trying to use the RPM packages with an old ATI/Logitech
remote.

Backend Hardware
CPU: AMD Athalon 1.0Ghz
TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV  BTTV (bt848)
HD: Two 20 Gig drives
      12 Gig System Patitions
      28 Gig LVM drive for recordings

With the settings I use,  HD Usage is about 590 MB per hour of
recording. Or about 47 hours.

Frontend Hardware
CPU: Celeron 600
Video: nVidia GeForce MX4400 PCI