[mythtv-users] Poll: apt-get FC3 install

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Thu Dec 30 14:08:32 UTC 2004

I used the apt-get and had problems with package dependencies. At one
point I had to remove yum. I also had to manually specify python4
installation (got it from atrpms). I went for the new versions of ivtv-
fw-*.bin instead of the all-in-one package and that also caused some
dependency problems, so I had to switch back.

All the while I was thinking that apt-get was supposed to help in
dependencies. I tend to bend the rules from time-to-time, installing
something from a tarball instead of an RPM so I use rpm's --nodep after
which apt-get seems to refuse to work.

Initscripts gave me problems. FC3 would lock up at startup so I had to
update that.

I also ended up going for the upgraded ivtv drivers from ivtv.no-ip.com
which I installed over top of the kernel-module-ivtv package so as to
keep RPM's dependencies intact.

Aside from that I had a brand new PVR 350 with a remote that was not yet
mentioned in Jarod's howto, so I had to think on my feet.

I spent most of my time fighting the PVR350's TV-out, it must be a new
revision because I had problems not mentioned in the lists.

good luck.

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 14:13 +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Clive at Rational wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know if anyone has had success using the
> > apt-get mythsuite packages on an FC3 system? (I
> > haven't).
>
> Apart from the concept issues I have yet not run into mythtv problems that
> were unresolvable.
>
> Getting the PVR-350 working is not a MythTV problem. It is just a major
> pain in getting a working machine ready.
>
> Hugo.

John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca>
Net Direct Inc.