[mythtv-users] Jarod's HOWTO for FC3/PVR-350/X - Please Take Offline

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Dec 29 20:30:47 UTC 2004

Here's my two cents worth.  As far as I'm concerned, Jarods guide is the
bible
when it comes to installing and getting myth up and running.  I
researched linux
PVR stuff for about a week before I found myth and Jarods guide.  I read the
guide over a couple of times and took the plunge.

I'm not a linux newbie but I'm not an expert either.  Using Jarod's
guide, I was
able to install FC1 (it was a while back) and myth, configure everything and
have it all working in a period of maybe 6 hours.  I've used his guide
for FC2
installs and have done it enough times now that I can install FC, myth,
configure and have a running system in about 3 hours.

I for one am grateful for Jarods guide and think he did an outstanding
job with
it.  The only thing that would make it even better would be if there was
a link
on the site to a kickstart to use to install the whole works from the
ground up.
Then about all his instructions would need to say would be:

    Download kickstart.
    Boot linux install aiming at kickstart floppy.
    Come back later when it's done.

Obviously it wouldn't be that easy, but pretty close.  :-)

Jack Trout wrote:

>Well helping to fix the problem is great, but shutting it down doesnt
>help, Maybe Jarod hasnt had time to update it I mean he only has a
>life away from mythtv, including a job, and a holiday season, but I am
>sure any positive input to how to fix it might be useful, but if he
>takes it down he might not get the info needed to finish the support.
>We are all very lucky that jarod was nice enough to even write
>anything down for people less linux or even technically inclined have
>something to guide them. How many people are good at writing step by
>step documentation especially in the higher ups in unix/linux. Someone
>with decent technical documentation skills is hard to come by and
>seeing he is giving up his time and effort for free (although he does
>accept donations). I consider myself on the lower middle of linux tech
>skill and google searching, but I was able to build my first myth box
>barely functional after about 4-5 days of solid work and even then It
>wasnt 100% functional. and with jarods guide and about 4 hours my
>first time I had a fully functioning and recording box.
>

>On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:26:38 -0800 (PST), Matt D. Robinson
><matt at aparity.com> wrote:
>

>>As I said before, I'm trying to help figure out what's broken.
>>If it can be fixed, then I'm all for it (and I'm doing rebuilds
>>now to try and see what happened).
>>
>>I don't believe in "put up or shut up" -- if it's broken, someone
>>should say something, and people (including me) should try and help
>>fix it.  If open source and/or open project work revolved around
>>"put up or shut up" perspectives, much less would get done and
>>people would be afraid to give any feedback whatsoever.
>>
>>Thanks for your enthusiastic response, however.
>>
>>--Matt

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown