[mythtv-users] Jarod's HOWTO for FC3/PVR-350/X - Please Take Offline

Matt D. Robinson matt at aparity.com
Wed Dec 29 01:06:17 UTC 2004

I've reviewed Jarod's MythTV FC3 HOWTO, using a single PVR-350 in
my TV box (and I had a working base FC2 configuration), and I'm at
a point now where I believe I can say that it just doesn't work yet.
Jarod should take his HOWTO off-line until he's had a chance to fully
walk through it with a PVR-350 so that those of us out there who
are following it don't end up upgrading into a broken configuration
(which we're all doing now).

There are three main problems:

- The ivtv-fb driver isn't up to rc3b yet to fix the problems with
  the module crashes (and even then doesn't work fully);

- X with TV Out is definitely broken; I've tried both the xorg.conf
  pointed at from his site, as well as tuning.  Modifying the
  ivtvdev_drv.o doesn't fix it; changing the firmware doesn't
  work; Using either ivtvdev, fbdev, or any other combination is
  broken.  Changing vga= and video= options doesn't help.

- The new 2.6.9 kernels are breaking in conjunction with ivtv, and
  the ck100zz drivers aren't useful anymore.

Until these major problems are fixed, people should be pointed to the
base FC2 instructions (without downloading the FC2 updates, since
you can break your configuration with newer FC2 kernels as well)
until these problems are fixed.

All the previous work is really appreciated from both Jarod, Axel,
John, and everyone else, but this is clearly a time drain so long as
the base FC3/guide configuration doesn't work.  This is just my $0.02
from doing this over the past three days and not making much forward
progress (and seeing a few mythtv mailing list E-mails from people
following Jarod's HOWTO and not seeing answers to their questions).

When there's something really working enough to beta test and/or use,
then I'm totally ready to help out.  :)  Thanks,

--Matt