[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Dec 27 16:42:47 UTC 2004

>>Please also keep in mind that I'm talking about SATA drives.  WD's PATA
>>drives were considerably less reliable than their SATA drives are (but
>>still not that bad, all things considered)
> Why would an interface change improve reliability?

Beats the heck out of me, but that's how it works.  We have FAR more
failed PATA drives than SATA drives.  Maybe the extra portion of PATA
drives coming back has something failed in the PATA circuitry.  Maybe
the SATA connectors and the new power connectors result in a better
connection (you wouldn't believe how many issues we have with bad
connections in molex connectors killing drives),  You must also keep in
mind that these drives are in high-usage rackmount machines, not
home-use stuff, since that does also seem to make a difference.

-Chris