[mythtv-users] nVidia DVI out?

Steve Brown sbrown at ewol.com
Fri Dec 24 21:53:30 UTC 2004

Simon Williams wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:54:45 +0000, Simon Williams <ultim8fury at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>I have a cheapo MX440 (no external TDMS) and a Sharp 45" LCD (LC45GX6U).
>>>It has 2 DVI connections. One to an interface box and another from the
>>>interface box to the display.
>>>
>>>I used the read-edid stuff at
>>>http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/ to get the edid info.
>>>The interface box reports 1280x768p and 1024x768p while if I unplug the
>>>interface box and connect directly to the display, it reports
>>>1920x1080p. With the "Monitor" section  generated by read-edid added to
>>>my xorg.conf, X & mythtv just work for these resolutions.  On bootup,
>>>the bios even seems to mostly recogize the edid preferred resolution and
>>>do proper console output. I thnk there is some dependency on the
>>>computer/tv power up sequence. But if fails so seldom that I haven't
>>>found a pattern yet.
>>>
>>>I'm running nvidia's 6111 drivers. The 6629 drivers produce a wierd
>>>horizontally overlapped display. I don't know why yet.
>>>

>>I have the UK version of this panel ( LC-45GD1E ) slightly different
>>connections but probably the same panel. I haven't got my 5200 to work
>>via DVI-D yet at 1920x1080 I hadn't considered using edid data from
>>the panel itself. As you say the media box reports very low res via
>>EDID/DDC2.
>>
>>I'll give the direct approach a try and see what happens.
>>

>------Update------
>
>Just tried driving the panel directly via DVI-D using the same
>ATSC-1080i modeline I have been using fine under analogue connection,
>and ..........
>
>It works. 100% picture is definitely clearer now all I need is a gefen
>DVI switcher. cos I can't be doing with unpluging cables every couple
>of hours.
>

>Thanks for the idea. Altough EDID data was useless from the panel
>itself the result is good.
>
>Tried a progressive version of the same modeline and its a no-go the
>image is stuck at the bottom of the screen and repeats itself 2.5
>times. still I've made progress.

Below are the two Monitor sections for the panel and box, respectively,
as output by read-edid. They all work. Don't know why your panel won't
accept 1080p when mine does.

Steve

        # EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:0
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        Identifier "SHARP 45LCD"
        VendorName "SHP"
        ModelName "SHARP 45LCD"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:0
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        HorizSync 30-69
        VertRefresh 59-61
        # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 150 MHz
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:no  Standby:no

        Mode    "1920x1080"     # vfreq 60.000Hz, hfreq 67.500kHz
                DotClock        148.500000
                HTimings        1920 1964 2008 2200
                VTimings        1080 1090 1095 1125
                Flags   "+HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
        # Block type: 2:0 3:0
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        Identifier "SHARP LCD"
        VendorName "SHP"
        ModelName "SHARP LCD"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        HorizSync 24-70
        VertRefresh 49-86
        # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 110 MHz
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:no  Suspend:no  Standby:no

        Mode    "1024x768"      # vfreq 60.004Hz, hfreq 48.363kHz
                DotClock        65.000000
                HTimings        1024 1048 1184 1344
                VTimings        768 771 777 806
                Flags   "-HSync" "-VSync"
        EndMode
        Mode    "1280x768"      # vfreq 59.833Hz, hfreq 47.986kHz
                DotClock        81.000000
                HTimings        1280 1328 1440 1688
                VTimings        768 769 772 802
                Flags   "-HSync" "+VSync"