[mythtv-users] nVidia DVI out?

Steve Brown sbrown at ewol.com
Fri Dec 24 13:58:30 UTC 2004

Mark L. Cukier wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Does anyone have any experience getting the DVI output on an nVidia
> card to work? (GeForce FX 5200)
>
> I've put the "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP" statement in my xorg.conf, but I
> still see no output. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I'd
> also love to see an example xorg.conf file...
>
> I'm trying to connect the video card is connected to a Sony Widescreen
> HDTV. As always, help is much appreciated.
>
> - Mark

I have a cheapo MX440 (no external TDMS) and a Sharp 45" LCD (LC45GX6U).
It has 2 DVI connections. One to an interface box and another from the
interface box to the display.

I used the read-edid stuff at
http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/ to get the edid info.
The interface box reports 1280x768p and 1024x768p while if I unplug the
interface box and connect directly to the display, it reports
1920x1080p. With the "Monitor" section  generated by read-edid added to
my xorg.conf, X & mythtv just work for these resolutions.  On bootup,
the bios even seems to mostly recogize the edid preferred resolution and
do proper console output. I thnk there is some dependency on the
computer/tv power up sequence. But if fails so seldom that I haven't
found a pattern yet.

I'm running nvidia's 6111 drivers. The 6629 drivers produce a wierd
horizontally overlapped display. I don't know why yet.

Not so bleak,

Steve