[mythtv-users] RAID on Fedora Core 3?

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Tue Dec 21 08:22:22 UTC 2004

Not sure what it is you are looking for ?  Low price or port density.
One trades off the other.  Just one rule, stay away from Promise.
Pretty much everything available today is good enough.

I quite like the Silicon Image 680 based cards.  Very cheap and work
quite well.  I've used CMD based cards reliably over the years.
HighPoint has reasonable driver support for the 37X family.  Some of the
newer chipsets are beta.  Anything that's not SATA should have excellent
support.  3Ware is good choice if you have lots of money and need lots
of density per PCI slot or 64bit support.

Check the archives for the recent RAID thread, it rehashes almost
everything you want to know.  Just remember with that many drives you're
ultimate gate is PCI 32bit/33MHz performance.  Which realistically is
about 40-80MB/s depending on wether you're reading or writing.  To get
any higher you'll need PCI-X or PCIe.

Hopefully the new NForce4 boards which are about to hit the market will
give us PCIe for Athlon 64.

Yan