[mythtv-users] AMD Athlon 64 CPUs and MythTV Compiling

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 20 23:40:02 UTC 2004

Sorry, but as I pretty clearly said,the whole clock speed thing _does_
matter a bunch on this very specific application -- mpeg encode and decode.

Other people have extensively benchmarked mpeg encode, and Pentiums win
hands down.   My own tests, described below, show the same thing for decode
though I have not seen official benchmarks.

For just about everything else, AMD is a better choice -- often faster,
cheaper and lower-heat.

But not for this one.  For this one Intel wins, and the reasons are a
combination of the fact that on some applications a faster clock really
makes the difference, and some supposition that the long pipeline does
matter on this particular app, though I have not seen that documented
fully.

But the CPU idle times are quite clear, I have two identical systems,
one with Athlon-3000, one with P4-3ghz (512k cache), and the CPU used
by the P4 is much less.