1394 and compressing analog Re: [mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 20 20:08:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 01:19:46PM -0500, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Oops.  No matter, resolution isn't a big issue with me since I have a
> 60" projection TV with only composite and RF antenna inputs, so a
> high-def signal doesn't do much for me.  It's not likely that I'll be
> in the market for a high-def set for some years.

Better stay away from them.   Like the PVR/Tivo/Myth, Hi-def is one of
those "hard to go back" things.  Once you watch a few shows in hi-def,
your old TV and 480i shows in general look blurrier than they did
before.

Though I don't think it's as much of a must-have as a PVR (which is odd
because it costs a lot more).  It varies on the type of show.  Watching
sitcoms in hi-def is nice.  Dramas are also nice.   Shows with cinematography
like nature shows and travel shows are a major difference.  Sports can
be a whole new experience especially if the camerwork is done assuming
HDTV.