1394 and compressing analog Re: [mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 18:19:46 UTC 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 12:54, Joe Barnhart wrote:
> --- "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I was under the impression that the FCC mandate
> > meant that the FIreWire
> > output had to be unencrypted, though it could be
> > downsampled to a lower
> > resolution.  So, you couldn't get HD resolution out
> > of the box, but you
> > could at least get direct digital access to some
> > form of the content,
> > even if it is only 480i or 720p.
>
> No. 720p IS a "high def" output.  You would get 480
> only.

Oops.  No matter, resolution isn't a big issue with me since I have a
60" projection TV with only composite and RF antenna inputs, so a
high-def signal doesn't do much for me.  It's not likely that I'll be
in the market for a high-def set for some years.

> But I hear the cable systems are already
> playing fast and loose with their "interpretation" of
> the rules, i.e. encrypting some content (e.g.
> broadcast stations) that should not be encrypted.

True.  I'd suggest writing to or calling your cable provider if you find
out that they're encrypting things they shouldn't (i.e., local
broadcast stations).  Let them know that doing so may violate FCC
regulations and that you would like a response.  If they don't respond
to your satisfaction (or at all), report them to the FCC (not likely to
produce results, but if everyone does it, it may get some attention).

-JAC