[mythtv-users] No video devices in /dev

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Mon Dec 20 16:33:36 UTC 2004

John L wrote, On 12/20/2004 8:00 AM:
> Yes, that is the issue. Thank you.
> In my rc.local I have included modprobe to load ivtv.
> I didn't need to do this extra step when I build my FC2 box?
> Why wouldn't they be loading?
> Isn't including them in modprobe.conf supposed to load them?

It has to do with the switch to udev for handling device creation.  I'm
not sure myself how to get udev to automatically load devices properly
like it did in FC2 and previous versions of FC, but for now I've added
the appropriate modprobe lines to the /etc/init.d/ scripts for lircd and
mythbackend under the start section to load lirc modules and ivtv
modules respectively.

Anyone know how to make it work like it used to?

-Dave