1394 and compressing analog Re: [mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Mon Dec 20 14:55:14 UTC 2004

Ian Forde wrote:
> 1. HD2000/3000 with QAM drivers
> 2. Firewire
>
> Option 1 drivers don't exist yet, so test captures can't be done.
> Option 2?  I can capture already.  It's just not in Myth.  It seems like
> a faster way of getting more HD users on myth in the short term until
> the (option 1) drivers are ready.  As it turns out, they're also the
> only possibly likely ways to watch HD for those who can't put up
> antennae for HD.  (ie - I live in an apartment!)

The good news is that for someone with the hardware and some C++
experience, it should be simple to add this capability to MythTV.  You
just need code to change channels, grab data from the FireWire port, and
spew it into the ringbuffer.  You also have to watch the stream so you
can mark keyframes into the database.  hdtvrecorder is good example
code, though it does more processing.

It's possible the stream may need to be munged in some way -- you can
test this now by doing a capture into a file, then do 'mythtv
<filename>'.  If it plays properly, the decoder is capable of playing
the raw files, and you're good to go.

-Doug