[mythtv-users] Nvidia DVI vs ATI

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Dec 20 11:19:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 05:51:31AM +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
> output at 1080i or 1080p from this card. I have found a not
> unreasonably priced fanless 6800 from gigabyte. Its more than I would
> have thought to spend on just a PVR but with a powerful card like this
> I think UT2K4 would look excellent on my TV so its not out of the
> realms of justification.

Yikes, that's a $300 card.  You can build a lot of system for that.

> However can anybody with any certainty say that this fault/issue is
> due to the TMDS on the card and not the Nvidia driver.

I wish I knew, I haven't tried the cards.  If I were not so frustrated
I would go and buy the various other DVI cards -- mx4000, mx440, 5500
and such from a store that lets you take them back, and see if any of
them work.

> If the driver is capable then I may seriously consider the 6800 as an
> option. If not then I'll have to look elsewhere.

The audio authority box can be had for $110 new, though it's not digital
all the way of course.  However, it does work with the 5200 card driving
a TV at 1080i.

But yes, I would like to see DVI working from linux.  I mean I have
seen it (With a Radeon 9200se) but the drivers can't go more than 1600
wide for xvideo as of now, and the proprietary drivers are limited to
older kernels than I have, or so they say..