[mythtv-users] Need help with HDTV Out Jitter

Steve Frank steve.frank at bevcore.com
Sun Dec 19 21:11:26 UTC 2004

Hey gang, I've read Jarod Wilson's guide to HDTV, and currently I'm
having a dickens of a time with getting X to agree with some of the
settings I'm passing it.

I'm using FC1 with XFree86 4.0.3-55.  (I'd update, but this puppy is
really stable and stability is king for MythTV).  I have a Gigabyte
Geforce FX5200 with DVI out, and I'm using a DVI->HDMI interface on a
Mitsubishi TV that is capable of 480p and 1080i input on the HDMI
interface.  I'm using the Nvidia driver 6629, the latest as of this
writing.

Here's relevant sections from my XF86Config--most of this is verbatim
from Jarod's Howto.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Mistubishi"
        ModelName    "48515 48inch HDTV"
        Option      "dpms"
        HorizSync    33.75
        VertRefresh  59.94
        Mode "960X540p"
                DotClock 37.26
                HTimings 960 976 1008 1104
                VTimings 540 542 548 563
                Flags "+HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Gigabyte"
        BoardName   "Geforce FX5200"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
        Option      "NvAGP" "1"
        Option      "NoLogo" "1"
        Option      "IgnoreEDID" "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport  0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "960X540p"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

My problem is jitter. Basically the video jitters up and down pretty
badly, and of course I don't let it run like that very long before
shutting off the set to prevent any damage that might occur.  The screen
appears, but the jitter is pretty extreme. Using Jarod's settings for a
1080i Interlaced screen is the same, just in higher resolution.

If I set it for plain 640X480, I get a pure progressive scan 480p output
with no jitter. Which of the above modeline settings affects this jitter
effect?

Thanks in advance, this is all new to me.

Steve