[mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 19 20:29:28 UTC 2004

Gerald S wrote:
> Thanks JAC,
>
> One more question:   Since the component video coming out of my cable box is
> raw video, requiring a regular capture card, how does HD impact this?  Is
> this signal HD and can it be captured as HD, though it is analog?  I know
> this I a lot of converting (digital -> analog -> back to digital), but it
> seems it would be the most compatible scenario.

If you have a cable box with HD component outputs, then the (analog)
component signal would be HD resolution (if the broadcast content was
HD).  However, I don't know of any analog HD capture cards or capture
cards that accept component input (at least, not at the consumer
level... maybe some commercial/professional grade cards?).  So, in order
for you to capture analog output from your cable box, you'd have to use
RF (coax), composite (RCA cable), or S-Video, all of which will have
been converted by the cable box to a standard NTSC-resolution signal.
There just really is no viable solution right now for getting access to
encrypted digital cable HD content in HD resolution, either analog or
digital format.  You can (may) eventually get the digital stream over
FireWire, but only in SD resolution (and not with Myth yet), or you can
access the decoded raw analog video stream, in NTSC resolution.  Either
way you're not getting HD.  Right now, the only HD you can get in Myth
is OTA broadcast HD, and soon possibly digital cable (QAM) HD content
*if not encrypted*.

-JAC