[mythtv-users] Beginner Question

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Dec 19 18:06:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 09:20 -0500, Joseph Caputo wrote:
> What you want to do *may* be possible, as the FCC has required cable
> operators to provide an enabled FireWire port that you may use to
> capture the digital (MPEG) data that your cable box has decrypted (but
> not decoded).  The catch is the content accessed via FireWire will not
> be HD... any HD content will have been transcoded down to a lower
> resolution (say, 480p).  In any event, Myth does not currently support
> capturing video over FireWire.

Yep - about that - there's a new library called libiec61883 (available
from www.linux1394.org in subversion) that supports firewire capture.
I've been testing that capability with massive amounts of assistance
from Dan Dennedy, it's author.  (He also wrote ddr1394.)  I've gotten it
to capture HD streams with a sample program that he wrote, so a release
may be soon forthcoming.

I've got packages available too, if anyone wants to test the capability.

What we need now is for someone to take a look at the sample capture
code included in the package and adapt it for use within Myth.  Anyone?

	-I