[mythtv-users] X startup on Warty

Pascal Hos pascalhos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:57:52 UTC 2004

Something strange has happened to my startup of X. Gdm does not come
up anymore. I keep getting warning messages that another X server is
already running on display :0. This is from a fresh reboot.  And when
I Ctrl-Alt-F7 I do see a black screen with an X cursor. If I answer
yes to the question if I want to start another X server on :1, the
same thing happens, but now I have two instances of X and still no
gdm. My xserver works fine. If I drop down to the terminal and type
/etc/init/gdm stop and then startx everything works just fine.
What could have gone wrong here?

Pascal