[mythtv-users] xine won't play mpeg4 nuv files

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Dec 16 16:33:29 UTC 2004

> I've built mythtv, xine, kaffeine from source and installed all the
> codec dlls for quicktime etc.  Is there a special plugin I need to
> install to get Xine to play the Mythtv mpeg4 .nuv files?

Nope.  It just doesn't play them.  mplayer can, sort of (it was patched
awhile ago to play an older version of the nuv file format), but that's
about as good as you get.

If you want something you can play in xine, use nuvexport to save as
xvid (the files will be smaller, too) and then use mythvideo to play
them if you want to watch them in mythtv, too.

-Chris