[mythtv-users] Hard Drives that Actually Work?

andreas groups at simply.nu
Thu Dec 16 08:40:34 UTC 2004

Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>     I feel compelled to speak up on one more datapoint here.  I'm
> generally a big fan.  Recently there were some rebates on 120 and 160 GB
> Seagate Baracuda drives.  I got one of each, but the 160 is making a
> continuous, repeating "beep-of-death."  Although the diag util says it's
> fine, the machine locks up when it does it.

I had a Seagate go 'beep-of-death' on me, but it was certainly not the drive
that was at fault. Replaced with a brand new one, I got the same behaviour
almost immediatly. The REAL culprit was the power supply that was a little
bit low on the voltages. With the that one replaced, all things have worked
like a charm since...

-a